Sunday, October 18, 2009

1st Quarter Outside Reading Book Review

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen. Penguin Books, 2004. Genre: Romance

The Truth About Forever is about a teenage girl named Macy Queen. Her father died a little while ago of a heart attack, and everyone thinks of Macy as “the girl who’s dad died.” Everyone except her genius boyfriend Jason, who is going away to brain camp for the summer. Macy and Jason stay in touch via email, and one affectionate email sent by Macy makes Jason want to take a break from the relationship. So that’s when Macy starts to work for the Wish catering crew with Kristy, Bert, Monica, Delia (the owner), and handsome Wes. At the end of the book, Macy has to choose between her old boyfriend Jason, and the artistic Wes from Wish.

“Again, Dessen creates a fantastic group of characters, including the oddballs of which she is so fond. Her portrayal of teenage life is accurate, friendship and romance are well developed and keep the pages turning, and the small revengeful triumphs along the way are satisfying. Dessen has not forgotten how teenage life is, and she is a master at writing for youth.”
-VOYA

The Truth About Forever shows the life of teenager Macy Queen going through some tough experiences, and how she deals with them and changes throughout the book. Things like her fathers death and her boyfriend wanting to take a break, and what Macy does to find herself happy. This isn’t very similar to other books I’ve read. Though this is the first book I’ve read by Sarah Dessen, I don’t think it is similar to any books that I’ve read by any author.
Her writing style is unique, and the topics are different from other stories that I’ve read. It shows how teenagers deal with situations, and if you take something away from them that makes them happy, then they will act differently than how you want them to act or react. It makes you want to read more, and see how things unfold.

“The first steps were hard; it took me a second to catch my breath, but then I found my pace, and everything fell away, until there was nothing but me and what lay ahead, growing closer every second” (368).

I think that this book affected me in a good way. It taught me to always be positive, no matter what life throws at me. Something that I enjoyed from this story is all the events unfolding. They were already planned for at the beginning of the summer, then happened at the end of the summer. Some things just happened unexpectedly, but others right when they said they were. I really liked the message of this book, and I feel like I benefited from it immensely.

2 comments:

  1. Jenna's overall impression of this book was that she enjoyed it. She liked reading it and feels she benefited from reading it. She noticed the writing style was unlike that in other books she read. She felt the characters acted differently than you would expect or want them to act. The passage was interesting and I think it provides a good idea of the author's writing. I don't think I would read this book, but only because the subject matter doesn't seem to interest me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. The reviewer's overall impression of the book is that she enjoyed and she wanted to keep reading. She learned a lot from the book.
    2. The reviewer noticed that the book's writing style is different and isn't like other books.
    3. The reviewer did pick an interesting passage because it makes you really think about what it really means.
    4. I probably wouldn't consider reading this book as it is not my style.

    ReplyDelete