Sunday, November 15, 2009

Second Quarter Outside Reading Book Review

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen. Penguin Group, 2006 Genre: Realistic Fiction
This book is set in a small neighborhood. Annabel Greene is the main character, she is a model and a victim of rape, though nobody knows it. She lost her best friends, and she gets picked on by Sophie, one of her former best friends. It was Sophie's boyfriend who she thought Annabel was "cheating" with. Annabel's sister Whitney was also battling an eating disorder, which was hard on the family. Annabel's life was going downhill, that was, until she met Owen Armstrong. He is big and strong, and completely obsessed with music. Annabel's life changes after she becomes friends, and then even more than friends with Owen.
"Up until now, The Truth About Forever has always been my favorite Sarah Dessen book. Now that I've read Just Listen, however, I think there's a tie! The characters of this latest release are so honestly real, their dialogue perfectly placed, that you can't help but be pulled into the life and times of Annabel Greene." -Jennifer Wardrip.
This book is about Annabel Greene, and everything that a girl her age is going through. She was raped by her ex-best friend Sophie's boyfriend, but everyone else thinks she was cheating with him. Everyone resents her, except Owen Armstrong. He is strong and big, and he is utterly obsessed with music, and set on telling the truth. Annabel rarely tells the truth, but she tells nothing but the truth and her opinions of music with Owen, which leads him to thinking she is always honest. But Annabel and Owen's relationship grows anyway.
"There comes a time in every life when the world gets quiet and the only thing left is your own heart. So you'd better learn to know the sound of it. Otherwise you'll never understand what it's saying" (349).
This is the second book I've read by Sarah Dessen, and certainly not the last. I recommend her books to all teenage girls, because they will touch you, and make you keep reading. I didn't enjoy reading as much before reading her books. Now I am constantly reading, and I love it. Sarah Dessen has become one of my favorite authors, and I plan to read more of her books in the future. Her style of writing intrigues me and I feel moved by her books, because these things really could happen, and nobody can be prepared enough for the future.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jenna,

    1) I think that the review really liked the book, and even said it was her favorite. She also says it's not the last book she's going to read by Sarah Dessen.

    2) She didn't say much about the writing style, but she feels as if the ways Dessen writes and the topics she writes about moved her.

    3) I do think that Jenna picked a good part of the book to explain. Because it seems so interesting with all the problems that the character goes through.

    4) This book review is a bit similar to the ones that I've read about Sarah Dessen's books. All the people say that they love the book.

    5) I would consider reading this book, but I can't for next term because it's a fiction novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall, Jenna definitely enjoyed reading the book. She thought it was very good and said that Sarah Dessen has become one of her favorite authors.

    Jenna didn't say a lot about the writing style but I got the impression that the way Sarah Dessen writes is very touching.

    I think Jenna did pick a very good quote to write about. It seems like it is reflecting the main idea of the story and it also shows us a little bit of the writing style.

    This review is similar to many others that I've read. It is well - written.

    I would absolutely consider reading this book, and I actually want to. I know several people that have read it and they all said very positive things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Jenna's overall impression of the book was really enjoyable. She really liked it and Dessen has become one of her favorite authors.

    2. She didn't mention much about the writing style but she felt it was very realistic and emotional.

    3. I think Jenna picked a good quote to represent the story and the meaning.

    4. It is very much like other reviews I've read but it is well written.

    5. I definitely would consider reading this book. I have another Sarah Dessen book and really enjoyed it so I want to read another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that Jenna really liked the book. She included that it was one of her favorites.

    Jenna didn't say a lot about the writing style but I had the impression that Sarah Dessen's writing style is very realistic and is very touching.

    I think Jenna picked an appropriate quote to give a taste of the book. It seems to reflect the main idea of the story and it also shows us a little bit of the how Sarah Dessen writes her books.

    This review is very similar to others that I have read but is well organized and well written.

    I am unsure as to whether or not I would read this. It seems like it would have alot of drama and/or romance in it which i like but it will probably be lacking in blood, gore, horror, and science fiction which I love. I would read it without complaint though if I had to.

    ReplyDelete